Monday, January 24, 2011

Elementary School in Auburn

Here are some of my reflections of what we called "Grade School" in Auburn from 1948-1954.  Margene, Joe and Anne can add their thoughts when time permits. Photos are from "Auburn, Now and Then" by Kevin Casey, on-line searches,  and the family archives. KEE


Elementary School in Auburn


 
Antioch School, Central Ave, Auburn NE built in 1897.
 Throughout the 20th Century, Auburn had two public elementary schools.   All children who lived north of 16th Street (that's us) attended Antioch school while those who lived south of 16th attended Athens School.  These two schools were built in 1897/1898 for a cost of about $8000 each.  Grandpa Gene and siblings attended the country school near the farm and then St. Joseph's School in town until it burned. All this is subject for other posts.   Uncle Dick went to Athens for a few years.  The younger McPherren girls started in Antioch (Aunt Donna, Maxine, and Helen) but Grandma Marge was at the high school when they moved to Auburn (8th or 9th Grade, I think!)

By the time Margene, Karen, and Joe were ready for school,  the building had interior toilets in the basements and drinking fountains!

Typical type of classroom with desks and slate boards
The girls entered Antioch through the door on the left and the boys on the right.  We lined up outside until the custodian rang the antique brass bell (by hand) when we walked in an orderly fashion (?) up the half-flight of stairs to the first floor for Kindergarten, First, and Second and then up a huge flight of stairs for Grades  3, 4 and 5.  There were four classrooms on each floor so the extra room on the first floor was for activities and on the 2nd floor for music.  Between the classrooms were long hallways where the children hung their coats and took off their galoshes.    Inside the classrooms,  we sat in wooden desks that were mounted on boards.  And of course, we had slate blackboards similar to the on-line photo.

Typical school supplies
In my second grade class, Mrs. Mildred Humphrey taught 33 children who wrote on Big Chief tablets, drew with crayons, and ate the school paste! Some, like me, licked their fingers discretely but often those silly boys would gulp a whole mouthful!

Karen and 2nd Grade Class 1950

Miss Grace Corners
One of the iconic elementary school teachers who taught Margene, Karen, and Joe was Miss Grace Corners.  She was in the school system for decades teaching 3rd Grade and serving as principal.  If you have any stereotyped images of an old maid school teacher, she embodied them all!  Many students (and their parents) shuddered when 3rd Grade began because she was known as a very strict disciplinarian.   In addition, since her handwriting was distinctive and perfect, she expected the same of her students.

Deep in the boxes of Ely archives, I found my report cards along with a note from Mother who said she sent each of us all our report cards. (Who will post one?)  Looks like I had a tough time at the first of the year.  Wonder if it is too late to appeal those marks?   In the academic areas I was fine.  Perhaps she changed the seating arrangement!  Wow, look at the wording of items they evaluated!  (click to enlarge)

Karen's 3rd Grade Report Card (partial)
Here is Joe as he started kindergarten with little sister alongside wishing him well.  The building was much the same as it was 60 years earlier.

Joe on his first day of school, Sept 1958, Antioch School

In the late 1950s, the city voted for a bond issue to finance two new buildings.   The new names, Sheridan and Calvert, were based on the tiny villages that were merged to form the county seat and new town, Auburn, in 1882.  Joe will probably remember the construction site overtaking the playground and the actual move mid-year I think.   Here is little Anne ready to begin Kindergarten.  I was off to college that year.  Joe was in 3rd Grade with the one and only Miss Grace Corners

Anne on her first day of school, Sept 1961, age 5, new Sheridan School

5 comments:

John said...

Great stuff, Karen, thanks. I remember Mom's stories about Miss Corners and how scary she was. Apparently she used to grab a kid by the suspenders and shake him from time to time, as I recall Mom telling it.

I met Miss Corners just once, at Good Samaritan about 20 years ago.. Was surprised when Grandma told me it was the infamous teacher I was talking to.

These photos and write-ups are great, I hope there are more to come.

Anne K. said...

Super stuff, Karen!!!

I was the only one of the Ely kids to NOT have Miss Corners for third grade! I remember walking past her house on the way home, though, and Cousin Mary Lee and I were always very well-behaved while doing so...just in case! And yes, Miss Corners lived on a corner!

I clearly remember that plaid jumper for kindergarten -- Mother made it, of course. She sewed a lot of plaid for me that year, as I also had a green-and-orange plaid dress with a big green yoke -- and on the yoke, she stitched a little silk applique of a bunch of orange carrots!

Here's something else interesting about that photo in front of Sheridan school. I was in almost that same spot with some of my friends a few years later after lunch - a drizzly day in late November, when I was in second grade. Chris Nelson had gone home for lunch and his dad drove him back - they'd heard on the radio that President Kennedy had been shot and Chris came running up to tell us.

Karen said...

So John, you met Miss Corners! Incredible! We thought she looked like the "Old Maid" in the card game!

Anne, you and Mary Lee were wise to walk carefully by her house and NEVER step on the grass! Dee and I usually avoided that corner altogether.

So interesting about meeting Chris Nelson on November 22,1963 in front of Sheridan School. I was at Marquette that day.

Joe said...

Wonderful write up, Karen. I'm so happy you were not "indolent"!!

I made the move to the "new school" mid way through my first grade year. I do remember how wonderful that new place was compared to the creaky old staircases and cold rooms of the old school.

I have no strong feelings of Miss Corners. I guess we got along OK. Or maybe my indolence simply didn't bother her any more.

John said...

Forgot to mention, I especially love the oh-so-modern Atomic Age zig-zag roof on the new school. I'll bet there were a few kidney bean coffee tables in the faculty lounge too.

Who knew that Googie architecture would ever invade the quite town of Auburn?