We're doing fine out here in CA, we leave on Tuesday for Carmel (I'm singing at the Carmel Bach Festival, this is my third year doing it, and I think our children are under the impression now that we own a summer home up there. No need to shatter their illusions just yet, I guess). So before we go the kids are participating in as much as possible of the summer swimming league that we have here in our neighborhood. There are meets all through July, but we're only here for the first two. Last Saturday went great, but today was a big day ... both Sofia and Marcello won a race for the first time! Sofia took first place in two races, the backstroke and freestyle for girls 6 and under; Marcello won backstroke for boys 7-8. They were both quite excited, as were their parents. Of course we emphasized as much as possible that we were proud of their EFFORT, not of the fact that they happened to win! Maybe you sports-oriented dads and moms can help us through that parenting challenge. The goal of a sport is to win, but the larger goal is to do your best ... ugh, this stuff is hard. Anyway, it was a fun day.
More from Carmel, hopefully, I don't have a laptop so I'll be at the mercy of the availability of the one computer the Festival provides for us to use. Mom and Dad are coming up to visit again, we are all looking forward to a fun month.
Here are some photos of the kids, from swimming and elsewhere.
Love to all,
Michael
Marcello gearing up
Marcello doing the backstroke
Sofia preparing for the race!
Sofia doing the backstroke
Sofia wearing the "bolero" sweater lovingly knitted by her Great Aunt Anne!
Marcello and Sofia at school
4 comments:
Michael, thanks so much for this great update, and especially the photos of the kids. They are so neat! As a family, we have not been known for our prowess in competitive swimming, so I'm glad to know they are breaking new ground! (or, in this case, navigating new waters...!)
Have a GREAT time on your summer gig!
Hey Michael, you of the Carmel summer home largesse...thanks for the great pix of the kiddos!!
As Anne said, this is not a classic strength of the family. Gretchen maintains I was "born to sink" in a pool...pretty true. So, major kudos to your kiddos for winning!
Yes, try to win, but always give the effort.
In the Little League pledge we say before every LL game, it ends with "...I will play fair and strive to win, but win or lose, I will always do my best." Despite the bad grammer, it is a good summary.
Great photos, thanks for posting!!
Fantastic photos, Michael, of your beautiful children!! Our kids will remember many a swim meet although they didn't usually do the back-stroke. You have to careful not to bump your head at the finish in backstroke!!
Enjoy your summer home in Car-mel' as opposed to Brian and Susan in Car'-mel Indiana! Last year David and Kate enjoyed visiting you. Don't think they'll be headed to CA this year!!
We loved the swimming pictures, too. Also love the one of Sofia modeling Auntie Anne's handiwork! She looks pretty proud of it, doesn't she?!! We leave for Carmel next week where we'll be taking some more family pictures. Maybe we can get one of the 4 LA Deans and their new dog, Bongo. I'll try to see if Tom can figure out a way to post our photos, too. I think he'll enjoy doing it. Great to have these, Michael.
Post a Comment