Sunday, July 8, 2007

Family is family is family...

I have never been much of a blogger, and certainly nothing besides text...but this seems a safe enough place to experiment.



TJ wants me to at least post SOMETHING...and since most of the talk around our house this summer has been centered around cousin Mark, we'll give him a try.














Susan's father's cousin's son...I'm not sure exactly what that makes him, but Joe and I have discussed it and decided that he is indeed a FAMILY MEMBER. That means I can mention him on this blog, but it ALSO means that you FEMALE family members are allowed to remark (once) that he is a handsome young man, and that it is not surprising given that all the DeRosas are good looking...but anything more that that and we are getting in to a pretty sick area. Got it?




I don't mean to sound harsh, but TJ and I are getting a bit tired of hearing about how cute he is, especially from people who think a baltimore chop is a Maryland pork dish. He's a BALLPLAYER, folks, not a pinup. I also am fully aware that we have one female family member who has a history of evaluating ballplayers based on looks alone (not mentioning any names, but her initials are MY MOTHER).


Okay, with that out of the way..we've been having a great time watching Mark beat up on NL pitchers over the last month, hitting .362 since Matt's graduation. He's also made some terrific plays in the field from four or five different positions, one of which made ESPN's Top Ten of the Week. TJ called me out of a meeting to tell me about that one. Joe can attest...Mark's been hitting everything on the screws, and the Cubs are winning.



Anyway, here's a short clip of Mark that I found on the web. This is from right behind the plate at Wrigley, a couple of weeks ago. For context...fifth inning with two out in a close game, and the Rockies decide to walk Cliff Floyd to get to Mark.



They thought they would have an easier time getting him out.



You better think again, mojambo.



Turn on your speakers so you can hear the Cubs fans cheering for OUR RELATIVE.



http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=3258284685070464774&q=mark+derosa&total=8&start=0&num=10&so=0&type=search&plindex=0


Good day to all...

4 comments:

Karen said...

OK, we'll cheer loudly for a newly-recognized family member! Aren't we glad that he is now playing for one of the family-approved teams ? Go Cubbies.

Karen

Uncle Nathan said...

I just call him cuz when I watch the games. Go cubs!

Anne K. said...

Brian, I am so glad to have this - I could never remember the details of our family connection to the Cubs and now it's all documented!! LOVE the video clip - THANKS!

Marge said...

All right, so what's wrong with judging the quality of professional baseball players by their looks? I've been doing that since 1961 and Tom McCarver was behind the plate in most Cardinals games that year. I was also a Lou Pinella fan way back when, FWIW. We did cheer for Mark when he was here a month or so ago playing the Padres. It should come as no surprise that Tom Dean told everyone seated near us that he was a "cousin." No one at the stadium could prove him wrong!! Now, back to the All Star Game.