Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Gene Ely's 94th Birthday

On January 8 we all will be thinking of Daddy/Dad/Grandpa/GreatGrandpa on his 94th birthday. I found these photos that will bring a smile for sure. Perhaps some of the more recent family members haven't seen them.

Dad with Otis
The colt is Otis, son of Jackie (I think) taken on a rather cold day. Daddy usually didn't wear a coat unless it was really cold. Of course, his OshKosh 'B Gosh bibbies hold a precursor to the Blackberry! This was probably taken in the early 1980s.

Dad with Seco

The horse he is riding is Seco. I believe this photo is from the 1970s but I'm not totally sure. As I dig deeper into the family photo archives, I'll be able to put more accurate dates on these.

The Happy Couple
This is from the tack room, taken in May 1993.

Over the holidays, we played a very cute group game called "Whoonuit?" in which you have cards with phrases and a the group members select things that the person who is "it" has to rank according to personal preference. The cards have sports, foods, activities etc.

For example, Makenna made a list with Blowing Bubbles #1, watching cartoons #2, etc
Quinn made a list with T-Shirts #1, jelly doughnuts #2, …. It is a lot of fun to find things that someone else would like!

So, to celebrate January 8, let's make a list of things Grandpa REALLY liked:

horses, pumpkin pie, Notre Dame, Rotary, Bonanza, …. (add some more!)

ed. note: This post written by Karen Eichstadt with technical assistance from Joe Ely, both honor students of Kenny Hutton :-)

6 comments:

Maureen Young said...

overalls!

Gretchen said...

About Otis. When I was pregnant with David, his "in utero name" was Otis (taken from a Dick Van Dyke episode. Meanwhile back on the ranch, Jackie was pregnant too and Gene named her colt Otis. I'm guessing that this picture was taken in 1978.

Anne K. said...

Teaching his grandchildren how to ride horses!

Listening to the funny tape recording of Brian Dean, at age 8 or 9, playing "Good King Wenceslaus" on the trumpet and hitting sputtering blue notes along the way.

Singing along to the theme song of "Petticoat Junction"

Creamed cucumber-and-onion salad in the summertime (and being delighted that Joe and I didn't like it, so there was more for him!)

Telling Marjorie Ely that she had the best-looking legs in Nemaha County.

There were so, so many things that gave him joy!!!

John said...

"Bookwork" was one of his favorite activities in the afternoon...

Marge said...

These were a few of his favorite things:

1. having an ice cold beer after working on a long, hot summer day on the farm;

2. watching a great football game;

3. saying "I never overeat -- I may have been overserved a few times, but I never overeat."

4. telling his daughters, "Gee, you look great!" even when you knew you didn't!!

Brian Dean said...

Great pictures. Otis's mother was actually Seco....I think his registered name was "Otis Seco's Pride". Otis once bit me on the elbow, leaving a scar that I still have. And I also almost broke a finger trying to control him the day we first separated him from Seco. I remember that so clearly...a good reminder that those are big, powerful animals. Sort of like when a Santa Gertrudis takes a step toward you. :-)