
Today is March 8 and the 125th Birthday of Laura Sophia Kerns Ely--- Gene Ely's mother! Aren't you glad to know that? She was born, March 8, 1883, so do the math.
She was born "across the river" from Brownville in Phelps City, Missouri as the second child of James F. and Alice Kerns. Shortly thereafter they moved to Auburn where James founded the J.F. Kerns Lumber Company later in 1883. They were charter members of St. Joseph's Church. In Auburn they had 11 more children including Alice Flack (#10)!! So that is the family history lesson for today.
I celebrated by calling Aunt Mary Alice in Kentucky. Of course she was thinking of her mother on this day. We chatted about a lot of family things. She asked about all of you and wanted me to send you greetings via e-mail. I forgot to ask her if a note on the blog was OK, but I'm sure it is.
As my Grandma Ely (Laura) grew older, she lost her sight. I helped her write Christmas cards where she dictated the message to many of her relatives and friends. Later my mother (Marge) found out that I had misspelled Kerns on all of the addresses!! I hope both of these wonderful women have now forgiven me!
I'll invite Marge, Joe, and Anne to add a little memory of her to this post. The photo was taken in 1950 at our house on 15th Street. The curtains are a huge clue! So she was 67 years old in the photo.
Love to all of you, Karen
4 comments:
Karen, thank you so much for taking time to put this tribute to Grandma Ely on the EFB, a highly appropriate place and date on which to honor her.
A memory from me? There are many, but I'll write of two things that immediately came to mind. First, when I was in high school I used to go up and clean the house for her -- mostly dusting, changing linens, and some very light kitchen work. She paid me $2.00 for a half-day's work, and after she paid me, I would sit and talk to her, or help her comb her hair into those little waves that she had, as you can see from the picture. She would tell old stories from her childhood or about Daddy when he was little, but I don't remember too many of them. I do remember sitting with her, though, and I clearly remember her voice and her sweet little laugh. (Maybe she was laughing at Karen's misspelling of Kerns on all those many Christmas cards!!!)
The other thing I remember about her was that it seemed that every time we walked in the front door she would be sitting in her chair praying her rosary. Whenever she got up, the rosary would fall on the floor. It was a beautiful silver rosary. I'm not sure whatever happened to it, but I would love to have it now.
And, oh yes, don't we all remember the open space over the piano that we always used as a stage for singing. We climbed up the stairs and looked through that window and thought it was so much fun. Do you remember that, Karen? Maybe others do, too.
That's it from me for today. We loved you so much, Grandma Ely. I'm sure you have achieved some degree of sainthood by now!
I was so young when Grandma Ely died that I don't have many memories of her at all, other than going to visit her in the hospital in Nebraska City where she was for so many months (maybe a year or more?!)
I do remember more about her house, and all the bric-a-brac that was so fascinating but I didn't dare touch. She probably would have let me, but Mother wouldn't have!!! Geege, that was probably some of the stuff you dusted! She had this fascinating clock under a glass dome where you could see all the mechanical parts -- I think it was musical, too, but I may be getting that mixed up with their doorbell that played "Bless This House."
All in all, not the charming memories that Geege and Karen have, but it was a different time! Do try to remember more and share if you can, Geege and Karen, I love hearing about these things!!!!
The clock Anne mentions was a special gift for Grandma and Dugan (another story about that name-- another time) for their 50th Wedding Anniversary in January 1959. It resided on the colonnade because it required a stable base to function. It had no batteries or electricity, but ran on its own momentum...... well, that's how I remember it! Yes, it was a lovely clock (purchased at the local jewelry store by the family) I think Mother picked it out--from the stock of Rigg's Jewelry.
The "stage" on the staircase Marge refers to is hard to describe, but vivid in the memories of all children who performed there. I certainly recall singing from the staircase --- and Grandma always cried.
Now as a Grandmother (and who who can cry on demand) I feel a special connection with our dear Grandma Ely. Maybe that's why I always remember March 8 and why I always carry Kleenex!
This photo is really how I remember Grandma Ely. Thanks for posting it, Karen.
I was 10 when she died, so I have no memory of her having sight. Yet I do recall the sweetness and the love she had for us little ones.
The "stage" was a huge thing...what a great area!!
Their 40th Wedding Anniversary was a big memory to me. It was simply BIG. So many people. We had it at the National Guard Armory in Auburn, the only place big enough to accomodate all the family. The big group photo we took that day is a family classic.
The other (wierd) thing I distinctly recall from that day was actually the next day. After the meal, the adults all sat around and talked, while they let the kids have full run of the gym at the Armory. And run we did...oh my. So much so that on the next day, I was sore. I had never known what "sore" was and it really startled me. I had run around so much my legs, hips and feet hurt. Dad figured it out and explained it. What a hoot...what a thing to remember!
Happy Birthday, Grandma!!
Post a Comment